Keep Smiling

Keep Smiling

Sunday, August 2, 2026

An Amazing Gift From A Friend







While researching the history of this

beautiful phone I came across

this information on the 

correct operations on using it

and

doing it with respect to the operator

as well as connecting with the person your calling.    







Then using the name on the 
hand cranked generator
inside and the numbers on the base,
I found this information.

The number 893 pinpoints this phone 
to be late 1910s or early 1920s 
(specifically around 1915-1920).

Most of these phones were 
in the 890 series,
meaning this 893 
is a slightly scarer model.

This design was often called the 
"Farmer's Telephone".
It was sold heavily to independent, 
rural cooperatives to bypass 
the urban constraints 
of the early Bell System.

The second number 1038538
indicates 
that it was made at the 
peck of World War I.



 

 
My friend called me 
last week
and ask if I would 
come over, 
because there was something 
she wanted to give me.

When I found out what 
it was I asked her 
to be sure that 
her children didn't 
want it.
She said no 
she had already asked them
and no one wanted it.
She said she thought of me 
 because of my old house
and she thought it 
would be perfect here.





Well I am delighted, 
It certainly fits 
the style of my 1905 home.

☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️

Thanks for stopping by,
and if you have the time 
 please leave a comment.
I love reading them. 

πŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“ž

Your blogging sister, 
Connie:)



31 comments:

  1. That is perfect for your house. What a thoughtful gift for you. It looks fantastic where you have it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had another place in mind to put it but after I got it, it wasn't going to work there it would have to be hung too high on the wall because of an outlet switch. Thanks for stopping by Ann, and for leaving a comment. We've been blogging sisters for a long time and I appreciate your blogging friendship.

      Delete
  2. Oh Connie! That phone is so so awesome! How wonderful to have it in your house now! It matches the era perfectly. When I was growing up, we had a wall phone (not the crank kind).. but the dial kind, and we were on a party line.. where other neighbors were on the same line and could listen in if they wanted to. We had to dial a number to get "out", and then tell the operator what number we wanted to call. All very old school, but at least didn't have to use a crank! Boy how things have changed. I love the history you found on this particular phone and how sweet of your friend to give it to you! Have a great day! xoxoxo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very thoughtful gift and I agree it fits the age of my home perfectly. I'm sure at some point in time this house had a phone just like that. I just finished reading your email and I'm sorry that a 6-hour drive is too much for you but I certainly understand. I feel the same way especially when you're traveling alone. When I make a long trip I have to have the radio on with songs that I can sing along to just to not get bored and sleepy driving. πŸ₯°
      Have a sweet week my friend 🌷🌻🌼🌻🌷

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful gift! I love the history of it and I know you will think of your friend each time you see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will remember her each time I see it. She is a sweet little lady that probably weighs 90 lbs
      soaking wet. She's also 90 years old and except for her walker she's a pretty spunky and alert gal. In your line of work I'm sure that you know several sweet ladies much like her πŸ₯°♥️πŸ₯°

      Delete
  4. An absolutely wonderful gift from your friend Connie. I would have been skipping with delight to get that telephone. I just adore them & like you, adore anything old. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you must really like me, because I'm definitely old. I wouldn't call myself antique but vintage maybe, LOL. Thanks for this sweet comment and thanks for being a lovely blogging friend.
      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love history that's linked to ordinary people living ordinary lives.

      Delete
  6. What a terrific gift from your friend, Connie and it looks very good displayed on your wall. I also enjoyed reading all the phone information. There is ac tually a telephone museum here in NH and we have been to it years ago, such a fascinating invention for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how wonderful!! What a treasure, and how sweet and kind of your friend to give it to you! Don't you wish you could actually call someone on it now? Wouldn't that be fun? That is such interesting information! Seems confusing and complicated in some ways, but I guess they got used to it. What a wonderful surprise for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new to you old phone is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, I was so surprised when she called me to come over because she had something for me and it was this old phone :)

      Delete
  9. What a great old phone. When I was a kid my we had a phone that looked liked that but was modern with a dial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, you just come across these old phones much anymore 😊❤️😊

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful gift! It looks great in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that, so neat that you found so much information about it, I never new you had to crank them to end the call, I learned something new, so much easier now to make a phone call for sure :) that was so sweet of your friend to think of you and it does look great in your room. It's sad the younger generations don't care about the old stuff much anymore, maybe it will make a come back some day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the younger generation is more into the mid-century look. I like a cozier warmer feeling in my home. Hey, we each need to feather our nest in a way that makes us happy. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing.

      Delete
  12. Oh, what a wonderful wonderful gift!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely thoughtful gift. I'd have skipped down the road too if my hip would let me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh ! How lovely ! Wow ! Your home is so old , do you know who lived there in the beginning ? Fascinating πŸ˜ŠπŸ¦‹πŸͺ·

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, it used to be a parsonage for a Methodist Church about 35 miles from here and was moved onto this property in the 1970's. We purchased it in 2013.

      Delete
    2. always fun to the history of your house! you are truly blessed, Connie♥

      Delete

  15. What a fun and surprising gift! It will fit perfectly into your home and decor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Lorrie, I agree . . . this old house probably had an old phone like this in it at one point in time :)

    ReplyDelete