Keep Smiling

Keep Smiling

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Party Decorations For 10 Cents !


~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~
In an earlier post I showed you my sash of wall paper books.
My books are about ten years old, but just about every 3 to 6 months
every wallpaper book becomes undated. 
That's when the stores either, throw them a way, donate them, or recycle them.
 ~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~
If you walk into a wallpaper store and ask, you can almost always get them FREE :)
 ~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~
 
There is everything from florals, checks, polka dots, stripes, patterns and textures.
Country to modern, bright colors, naturals, and pastels.
If you can think of it, it is somewhere in a wallpaper book. 
 
 

In this little project I cut out small triangle flags.

I sewed them to a ribbon.

Look 25 yards for 50 cents.  
I used 5 yards, 10 cents worth. 
Remember my paper was FREE.

Look at all the pretty paper :)

When we were young and first purchased our home, 
I took wall paper books and cut the printed pages into quit patterns 
and glued them to a feature wall in one of the bedrooms. 
That was almost thirty years ago, 
and I redecorate often,
but I had a very pretty wall for the small cost of 
a bottle of watered down white glue.  
 

Cut out these roosters and decoupage them 
to a sign, cupboard door, kitchen stool, etc.

 This hangs in my kitchen above my fridge.
Where did I get the roosters?
Well, by now you know, wallpaper books :) 

 
 
 

Back to my project.

These would look cute used at a birthday party, or maybe to decorate a lemon stand.
You get the idea :)

 Now look at the following photos for more cheap party ideas!
These little birds were cut from wallpaper.
I cut two of each and double taped their wrong sides together
 and then added tooth picks. 
This banner is bigger than the one I made in this post.
This one has two full pages of paper placed back to back and cut into flags and then sewed around the edges.
Then  I used clothes pins to put them on a line above the table.
The little birds and the jumper that says "BOY" are also wallpaper. 
Goodwill tea cups filled with birdseed bags
 made from toile and wallpaper birdie tags.
They didn't cost much at all (99 cents for cup and saucer)and the ladies loved them :)


~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~

The point I'm trying to make is,
You Can Throw A Great & Pretty Party
On A Budget :)
Don't let money spoil your good-time :)

~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~  
Party On!
Connie :)

 ~~~~~~~ ***** ~~~~~~~
Posted by Picasa

42 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is a decorator and she gives me her old fabric sample books. I have made some cute little quilts out of the samples.

    I am sure you could come up with some great ideas if you got your hands on a few of the fabric books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all fabulous ideas!!! Now to getting the old books...I have not heard of a wallpaper store, but we have plenty of paint stores, think that would work? I hope I can get one, this is very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny,
      Most paint stores also sell wallpaper. I'm sure you could walk right in and come home with a few wonderful sample books :) Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Hi Connie,

    Very cool! I might have to look in the yellow pages for a wallpaper store. Do your guests get to keep their cups? That would be fun. One year I had a small Christmas party and bought mugs for everyone (they were cheap) and they were all surprised when I said they are theirs to keep.

    Love the banner too. Do you have a sewing machine dedicated to that kind of sewing? And one just for fabric?

    Peace,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Yes, the cups and saucers were theirs to take home. Many regular sewing machine will sew paper as well.
      You should try it in your card making :)

      Delete
  4. very cute idea, connie:) i love the banner--i'm thinking of doing one in fabric--tfs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, I think banners are so pretty. It's a great way to use up scrapes, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Cute ideas....think I make a run to a wall paper place and see if I can get a few books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who says you have to spend a fortune to decorate. These are great and you can't beat the price. I love the sign you have in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann,
      I've found that my imagination has made up for a smaller budget. I like to save my money for the bigger items that I can't make myself :) I'm pleased that you like my sign.

      Delete
  7. Your banner is quite adorable ~ what's not to love right! I have a wallpaper store nearby and never even thought about popping in to see what they might do with the sample books ~ I wouldn't even mind paying a few bucks for one after seeing what you were able to create! Thanks for sharing such a great idea ~ Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find this as another creative medium. I'm sure you will do something amazing with these sample books :) You're so creative!

      Delete
  8. Oooo, you crafty diva. I love your party decorations. Who wouldn't want to join you with that magnificent spread you've created. I have to laugh thinking about the run you've just created on old wallpaper books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Connie....I LOVE these ideas!!!! Those little paper birdies are my favorite!! Of course, I love the flag banner....I am actually going to make me one soon out of vintage hankies. Your tea cups filled with bird seed is adorable....just love this as gifts for your guests!! Your creativity knows no bounds! Can I come to the party??? Blessings and a wonderful week~~~your friend, from one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxie, is the hankie banner for Sweet Sue?

      Delete
  10. Brilliant!!!!! Absolutely brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrat's to the winner of your giveaway and Thank you for having one!
    LOVE your party decorations! WOW! Very cool! I better rush to a decorating store and pick up some old wallpaper books!
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallpaper sample books make wonderful paper for crafts :)

      Delete
  12. Connie- Aren't YOU one smart cookie? I love that banner and what great ideas you have here. Love your ideas!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of our wallpaper shops give away their books too if asked. I've never bothered before but you have given me some lovely ideas. I love the pretty bunting. Who needs fabric bunting when you can use paper. Love it Connie.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia, if you make them double (back to back) they are quite sturdy. Those that I have on the clothes line I have used many times. Just take them down and store them flat and they last for many parties to come.

      Delete
  14. Love the banners, and those delicious little birds! Need to get me some wallpaper books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never have thought of this in a million years.. You are so clever and creative Connie.. The cups with the seads and the cut out birds and the flags..gosh you have great ideas.. you will have to make a bunting for "Gypsy Rose" for special occasions.
    I love the rooster sign.
    Lovey post..
    Happy week Connie.
    val x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, thanks for all the encouraging words :)

      Delete
  16. wow! I never would of thought of that!!! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the tea cups filled with bird seed! I am not lucky in finding thrift store tea cups but then I don't go very often!! hehe Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, tea cups with matching saucers are not that easy to find, because they get bought very fast. It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open. It took me over a year to collect the 14 that I gave away that day :)

      Delete
  18. Great ideas!! I love the little paper birdies! And the sunflower teacup favors are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sweet friend, are very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea!! I think I am going to have to start asking for those books! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea! I think I'm going to have to ask for some of those books! I love the birds!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, these books are a great resource for creating so many projects :)

      Delete
  22. So, I guess all your blogging gals, me included, will be looking for old wallpaper books! Great idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggie, I can see lines of women standing at the counters of wallpaper stores across the globe :)

      Delete
  23. Ok ,I'm going to the wallpaper store today! This is an awesome idea. Also, did you make your aprons out of skirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy making my aprons from, skirts, dresses, blue jeans, pillow cases, bedspreads, curtains, etc. The fun is taking something out dated or tired out and giving it new life :)

      Delete
  24. Connie,
    The banner made of wallpaper is great! Never thought to make one using wallpaper. I also love the cups with bird seed.
    What great ideas!

    ReplyDelete